Friday, February 10, 2012

Stand Up Paddle, asphalt style




Last summer I was driving back from Laguna along PCH. This drive always puts me in a creative mood. Driving, first of all, puts my brain in the proper level of distraction, kind of like gardening. Then of course is the fact that moving through Laguna, Newport Coast, Corona del Mar, Mariner's Mile, Huntington Beach, Bolsa Chica, Sunset, and then Seal Beach is just about the best coastline/ people watching you can hope for. I count on this drive to remind me why I pay ridiculous prices to live here.

Anyhow, I was in the inevitable traffic where PCH meets Huntington Beach Main Street, right at the pier. Surf City USA. Duke Kahanamoku statue with live leis around his neck on the corner. I live for this crosswalk; ALL TYPES move across it and it gives me endless character reference. Out of the corner of my eye I see a cute boy in the bike lane, probably 17 or 18 years old. Wearing striped beanie, tank top, backpack, low riding jeans and Rainbow sandals and PADDLING his way up the bike lane. Yes paddling. I fell hopelessly in love with this character (don't tell my husband) and needed to document the awesomeness of the embodiment of the surfer. Commuting down PCH on a longboard skateboard, with Stand Up Paddle (SUP) paddle fitted with a rubber tip on it. Total surfer ingenuity.

This painting is a nod to this unknown surfer boy- Sam and Jade cruise the bikelane on their own longboards.

No comments:

Post a Comment