Tuesday, June 28, 2011

art and all that


So I am taking the LAST class of the MFA, the one I had to put off due to teaching (a person can only do so much.) Anyhow, it's called Survey of Southern California Contemporary Artists, taught by Professor Mike McGee who I'm convinced has some sort of genius memory about all this. We saw a presentation on an "artist" last night, I can't remember his name, but I got so worked up during the presentation I doodled dragons with big nasty fangs. Oooh scary, I know. This "artist" tries to make "art" that no one recognizes as art, and then doesn't name or sign it, so it can't be catalogued (?). Like, for instance, he made a drinking fountain that looks just like a drinking fountain and works like a drinking fountain, out of mundane drinking fountain materials, and then "installed" it on a college campus in a place where you would normally find a drinking fountain. And didn't sign in, just in case you might wonder if that drinking fountain is actually art masquerading as a drinking fountain. !?! I HOPE he did not get a grant for this. There are other equally obnoxious "pieces of art" or non-art art, or whatever, that he has made, but I am going to end my rant. I just don't get it.

On that note, there are also those people who don't really think illustration is art. But I'm not one of them. And so I am posting a little thing I had to get done for a show. I much prefer this silly sort of art to any art that tries not to exist...

No comments:

Post a Comment